Friday, February 25, 2011

Dear Laura ...

Dear Laura,

Several weeks ago, you gave me a book. A lovely book, for which I would like to thank you, yes. But this note is for something more. It is for the way you bring kindness and energy to everyone around you, including me.

I thank you for the way, when you talk with someone, you are completely present. I remember the first time we had lunch together two years ago; a bit of a manic hour of topics ranging from tolerance, to cultural differences, to quiet, private moments of epiphany. We often try to schedule time together -- I remember the time we had a lunch date which I forgot, and though you made your way to our appointed spot, you immediately forgave me and let go of the whole mishap. I learned that your capacity for forgiveness was as great as your capacity to embrace people's virtues, even celebrate their quirks.

I applaud the way you go through life hungry and thirsty for ways you can shape conversations and inspire others. I applaud you for the spirit and tenacity you bring to every situation.

To quote the book you gave me; May God bless you with the foolishness to think that you can make a difference in the world, so that you will do the things which others tell you cannot be done. You have great days still ahead of you. May there be many of them.

Thank you, Laura, for being such an amazing friend.

Love,
Rita

1 comment:

  1. Richard Bach's ILLUSIONS... still one of my favorite books of all time...my copy is torn and dogeared and worn in every way. I've long contemplated a film adapted from this book... but it would never reach the audience in the same way his words conjure wonderful images in each individual's mind. It's brilliant. My favorite quote of any I've ever read...

    "You are never given a wish without being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however."

    Coupled with:

    "Every person, all the events of your life, are there because you have drawn them there. What you choose to do with them is up to you."

    I've long tried to remember these in my life... and live accordingly. They are both good informed thoughts... Bach's existentialism at its best... Enjoy the book Rita!

    ReplyDelete