Monday, February 7, 2011

Sometimes in giving, we receive more than we give.

Monday afternoons are my regular volunteer time in my daughter’s 4th grade class. I started this practice of spending some time each week in my children’s elementary classrooms 16 years ago when my oldest was in kindergarten. So, I’ve been a fixture of sorts in this same school for quite some time.

Each time I enter those doors I am met with a sense of welcome. As I walk down the halls, I’m greeted from inside a room, or someone comes out for a conversation. Many of the teachers and staff there now were there 16 years ago, so questions are often asked of my older 2. As time goes by, I am impressed by how their enthusiasm and commitment to each child has persisted and even grown. In those hours spent in the classroom, I have witnessed consistent patience, encouragement, and clever direction over and over again.

In the time spent within these walls, I know that I have learned so much, about children, education, and community. For this I am so very grateful, for in giving a little time, I have received so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment