Monday, January 3, 2011

The gift that keeps on giving

Carol Castle Monday, January 3, 2011

This story starts back in my New York waitressing days in the 80’s. I was working lunches in a restaurant in the Wall Street district. Emily, was my best friend there at the time. We spent time together out of work, and got to know each other pretty well. As conversations go, we shared childhood experiences. Her father traveled a lot with the Boston Symphony, and would always bring her new books as a treat. When she reminisced about her favorite books, and none were familiar to me. See books were a luxury my family could not afford. Well, that Christmas, she gave me a gift of books, The Velveteen Rabbit, and the Maurice Sendak Nutshell Library. The ripple effect of that gift was yet to be seen.

Years later, when my first child was to be born, they were the first books on the shelf. Thousands of books were to follow as the enjoyment of each new story grew. As my children grew, we made frequent visits to the library. I ran the children’s story hour at the local library for a couple of years. Love of books has continued to progress through the elementary, high school, and college years for my children.

Now, the thing is, Emily & I lost touch long ago. I always wanted to share the story of effect of her gift. I tried to find her online a number of times, to no avail. Well, a couple of months ago, I found her through a facebook search. I think she was a bit spooked, so I didn’t pursue much. But, as I have been posting a few of my etsy offerings on facebook, she contacted me because of one. It was a book that she wanted to get her husband as a late Christmas gift. How perfect!

I have just today sent her the package of books with her check voided, and a long thank you note.

Thank you Emily, your gift is still giving.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how people can still touch us with these seemingly small, simple gestures from years and miles away. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete