Saturday, January 15, 2011

Little Things Count

While I have many individuals to thank this year, for past and present generosity, this week I wanted to try something different. Something that should be a normal practice of the everyday for all of us, yet, somehow, it isn't. I decided to thank eveyone I came into contact with, no matter how small the interaction, a kind word. At the grocery store, a thank you to the cashier who checked me out at Gelson's. At the 76 gas station, the attendant that took my cash. At the restaurant in Santa Monica, the waiter that kindly saw to it that I had a pleasant evening without having to cook the meal myself. The list goes on. Each time they provided me with a simple service, or something more involved, I made an effort this week to look those people in the eye, and with heartfelt appreciation, thank them. An amazing thing happened... when you really thank someone, looking them in the eye, and show them honest appreciation and acknowledgement... you get a smile, or a nod, or even a "you're welcome" when you least expect it. It makes for a kinder, more positive day, and a better experience overall. Funny... the little things sometimes really do count. And being grateful for those, adds up to more than you think. I think I'll practice this on a more regular basis! Maybe the practice will spread!

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! Keep spreading the good cheer...it does a heart good. On both sides of the coin, you know what I'm sayin'?!? '-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people are probably surprised when they do get a thank you let alone have eye contact. Allot of people treat others like they are invisible and take for granted they are just there to serve.

    ReplyDelete