Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year - 2011 - Many Angels Walk Among Us, And Leave Indelible Marks We Are Grateful For

Thirty or so years ago, on this day, a special woman named Frannie Whipple did something so kind, and so generous, it made such an impression on my mind, and heart, that I shall never forget it. My family was in a transition, moving from a temporary apartment building in our hometown in Newport, Vermont, into a home that my parents were building with their own two hands. It was winter, and every dime they had went into the building of what would become our family home for over 25 years. I was young, but knew that things were not easy for them. My parents could not afford a Christmas that year, and time would not allow it. January 1st loomed large that December, we had to be out of the apartment, as the building was scheduled to be demolished. That day, regardless of the fact that the house was not finished, we moved. The walls were not painted, the carpets were not installed, and the large picture window looking out over Lake Memphremagog was still on order. Our mattresses were lined up on the floor in front of the only heat source working at the time - a stone fireplace. the week leading up to it was filled with packing and moving the small things. The larger things were left to the adults on New Year's Day. That day, as good family friends as Frannie, and her husband, Foster were, they were there with their pickup truck helping our family move.

Frannie, having heard that we did not have a Christmas, not a tree or a present beneath one, did what she had always done...gave generously. She invited my fours sisters and me into her car for a trip down to the local department store - Forest Hills. It was nothing special by today's standards, but on that day, it was Disneyland. Frannie led us all to the toy department and asked each of us to pick out a toy, regardless of the price. I remember mine well - a cardboard doll house that you could decorate, and move the walls to form any space, much like the sets on film stages that I work on today. It was colorful, inventive and all mine. Each of my sisters picked up their prized and worthy choice. Afterwards, we returned to our new home on the hill. That day, Frannie did not know that the impact of her kindness would reach across time, and infuse each of those five girls with such a fond memory of one of our most cherished Christmases ever. She had inspired each one of us to remember the true meaning behind the holiday - generosity.

While Frannie is no longer with us, and I am not able to mail an actual note to her, I know she can hear my voice, and read my words. Her presence is felt in our hearts each day, particularly on this, a new day, a New Year. To her, I say thank you, with all my love and gratitude for the many things she shared with my family while she was with us.

May your New Year be filled making fond memories, but, more importantly, may you remember the importance of generosity, as it is the sister of gratitude. One cannot exist without the other, I feel. Practice both in abundance!

Loranne Turgeon

3 comments:

  1. What a great start Loranne! Love that all the sisters can relate and remember that special Christmas. It is truly what the spirit of the season is all about. We are off and running in a land of appreciation!! Giddy-up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frannie's spirit of genrosity and wonderful sense of humor are deeply missed, but I think that even in parting, she left so much of herself behind in each of us. Lovely memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is truly missed. She was an integral part of our childhood...

    ReplyDelete