Tuesday, January 18, 2011


I knew and met Christopher Thornton years ago in Kentucky at a time in my life that was very turbulent and shaky. He lived with my then husband and I for about a year along with another soldier friend, Lance (my ex was in the Army at Fort Knox). We all lived together to help ease everyone’s financial burdens which worked well in spite of the fact that I was the only female. Chris was like the protective big brother that I never had. He would monitor my emotional well being the way a new parent monitors their first baby the first week that they have it home. He knew I was sensitive and would go out of his way to make sure that I had a reason to smile or laugh when he was around. He received many playful punches in his muscular arms from me in the process. He often said that while he was around that noone would hurt his sweetheart said in his slightly southern drawl as he stood their with his arms folded like Mr Clean. We spent many evenings talking, reminiscing or just trying to figure out life for eachother and not always coming up with a solution but nevertheless feeling better about it all. We were eachother’s sounding board.

After we all went our separate ways, I would hear from and talk to Chris about once every 6 months to a year. We would always pick up where we last left off and our friendship just flowed naturally and it was always like there was no time between our conversations. His friendship was ALWAYS a blessing in my life. We lifted eachother up when it was needed and I always felt that if people knew him the way I did that they would appreciate him also. I was his most fervent fan in life.

Sadly, on October 8th 2009, I lost my friend Chris. He died at the end of a long 5 year illness and I didn’t get the chance to tell him how much he really meant to me and how thankful and blessed I felt to have him in my life. I hope that he knows that now and that he is happily existing up in heaven fishing and listening to his heavy metal music as God smiles at him wearing ear plugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment