Thursday, January 20, 2011

"I am thrilled and honored to have been asked to contribute to this blog. I started generating a list of ideas right away --- family, friends, the list is long. I have begun to compile drafts and hope to be able to get to the many things in my life I am grateful for.
However, at the end of my work day, today, I knew I would be writing about work. I work for a school district and provide speech and language services for preschool children. Services include support to children with a variety of challenges --- speech articulation, language issues, some non-verbal children have communication systems and others might have medical issues, i.e. cleft lip and palette. I see most children in their pre schools classrooms, some in childcare settings and others in their homes. What I think about as I end my day is how warmly I am welcomed in all the places I visit. Classroom teachers incorporate me into their schedules and I have become part of their classrooms, childcare providers make space for me and families greet me at the door smiling. I am often offered cups of coffee, or maybe a snack. And for the most part, children greet me and are eager to work with “the speech lady”.
Working with young children is a gift, a tonic. It’s hard to stay in a down mood when a four year old greets you with a hug and says, “Let’s play”. Yes, there are challenges but on most days I am inspired and delighted by this work I do. And so I am grateful for the opportunity to work with young children and the families and a great team of co-workers."

1 comment:

  1. Jane,
    As a young child, I had a lisp. I didn't think there was anything different about me, but that was because of the kind and sensitive treatment I recieved at the hands of my speech therapist. The work you do is profoundly important, and I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete